Day 37: Bad Night (now with addendum!)

In Which…

Project Title: The Mistress of Frosthaven
Genre: YA – Dark Fantasy
Words Today: 0
Running Total: 3092
Scrap Draft: (6,453 + Version One: 24,689) Version 2.0: 2611

Taking a mental health night tonight. Got a late start sitting down to write, after a long day where things just kept piling up. I’m already running at a very high anxiety level at the moment, which is making it very difficult to focus on pleasant things. Writing isn’t (and has never been) my stress-relief method, and I can tell that if I push it tonight, I’m going to regret it. Instead, I’m going to journal and try to relax a bit before bed. Scheduled a Write Club tomorrow evening, so hopefully I can make up for lost time then.


ADDENDUM: So all was not lost. After futzing about for an hour, I caught a creative breeze around 11:45pm (which for me is really too late to start writing, but I went with it last night), and ended up writing 908 new words and salvaging* 494 from the scrapped scene I wrote 3/7 (which I liked, but the age impression was wrong). Which puts the new totals to:

Words Today: 1402
Running Total: 4494
Scrap Draft: (V1.0 = 31,142), V2.0 = 2611

*Salvaging usually requires completely rewriting the segment, but harvesting key phrases and general structure I want to keep. The original scrapped segment is actually 840 words long, and has been converted into 494 salvaged words. I count the salvaged words as new words since they work within the new context in ways the scrapped version can’t, and I’m keeping the scrapped words counted in the scrap draft because I still wrote them, even if they’ve been distilled into a new version. 

Leave a Reply